50 Shades of Grey Movie's Review

50 Shades of Grey Movie's Review

Hello guys! I know I haven't written for a long time now, but I went to the cinema yesterday to watch 50 Shades of Grey and I couldn't let the opportunity on commenting it pass.
As you may know, I read the entire trilogy in 16 days. Yeah, I know, this is crazy. I already wrote a post where I commented the book's trilogy and E.L.James type of writing. Now, I'll comment the movie on my point of view, as a person who read the books.

CAST

First of all let's start with the cast. Well, the cast was one of the most controversial aspects around this movie. Since opinions that Jamie Dornan was not the better choice,to their performances and looks. 

Dakota Johnson as Anastasia Steele 


Dakota to me was the best thing the movie presented. I was really skeptical when they first released the actress choice but, after the physical transformation, I started to be a believer. Her blue eyes, her hair, her face and even her body, everything was so close to what E.L. James described and I myself imagined.
She portrayed Anastasia so well! She was maybe a little bit funnier than Ana is but that brought even more to the story. On my movie theater, which was full by the way, there were a lot of moments when the public laughed. I enjoyed it a lot. She was really stressed, she completely showed the boldness that this character has, she showed those "wannabe sexy" moments, she was intimidated and she had that strong personality that made us fall for Anastasia. In one sentence, Dakota completely nailed it! 

Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey

This was very controversial! And I am beside the critics. Jamie Dornan wasn't enough. He did everything right, don't get me wrong, especially on those sassy moments. But there wasn't much of Christian Grey on him. I barely saw Grey. There was a moment or two in which I was like "Damn! That was Christian!" but that was it. But I don't think it was his fault alone. He really lost it because of the stupidly slow pace of the movie, but this is something I'll talk later. Jamie is hot, but not in the way Grey is. He has a nice body, yes, but not as Grey. I loved the scars, though. His voice wasn't catchy and his presence wasn't intimidating enough. If he had a small beard, it would have been 1000 times better. If it wasn't for Dakota, Jamie would have been awful in the full meaning of the word. Despite all of this, Jamie was able to be strict on some hot scenes, and I applaud him for it.

Other Characters in General

The other characters, au contraire of the book, barely show up. And major scenes of them were cut, but yet again, that is something I'll talk later.

Let's start with Christian's mother. Marcia Gay Harden looks much more like Mrs. Robinson than Grace, to me of course. I imagined her, and I think there are those information on the book, blonde, tall and elegant.
Christian's father, Carrick, on the other hand, is extremely close to what I had imagined and Andrew Airlie played it nice. 
Jennifer Ehle as Carla, Anastasia's mother is good as well. The looks and the personality come really close to what E.L. James described. 
José Rodriguez is very nice. He, unfortunately, barely shows up and we don't get a full idea of him, like we do in the books, but I like it.
Luke Grimes as Elliot, Christian's brother is nice as well.
Mia, who is Christian's sister, is portrayed by Rita Ora. Now, what the hell where they thinking?! She has nothing to do with nothing. First, physically, I imagined her like Alice of Twilight. Second, Rita Ora?! No further comments on this choice. 
Max Martini as Jason Taylor. I mean, come on! He is hotter than Jamie! And he had such an importance on the book, and they took it all away. Man, he was so cool and his relationship with Anastasia is so well done. Gosh, I'm mad at it. 
Callum Keith Rennie as Ray Steele is not how I pictured, but that isn't important.
And now, the biggest cast mistake. Even bigger than Grey's. Kate Kavanagh was suposed to be the hottest girl I've ever seen. Readhead, green eyes, a hell of a body, guys were supposed to fall in her presence and what do they get us? Eloise Mumford. Like WTF?! I have nothing against her but damn! And she did it all wrong! She should be, let's say, a feminine and small version of Grey in his intimidation part but we get nothing. AWFUL!

SOUNDTRACK

Everybody was incredibly amazed with the soundtrack and I was to. Beyoncé's sexy version of Crazy in Love, the Haunted, and Ellie Goulding's Love Me Like You Do... Damn! Yet, in the movie, they played these songs on the wrong moments. And I thought that the soundtrack would make the movie even better but it didn't, actually it was the other way around.

PACE

The pace of the movie made it kind of boring. Really slow, like ssslllooowww. It was exhausting at some points. And they would try to cover the boring moments with boring music. So, this point alone made the movie way worse than it could be. If this was made just right, the movie would have been 1000 times better. So, I dare to say that what killed the movie was it stupidly slow pace.

FILMING

To me, the filming of the movie was ok. The first scene where Grey is running is awesome. The credits are really cool as well. So, I liked it. They cut a lot of important scenes which made the story lose a lot. I know that they couldn’t put everything but there are scenes you can’t just make disappear because the story will lose substance.


Conclusion:

What made this movie not as good as it could have been, despite the enormous success in the box office, was the process of making the film, not as much as the cast who portrayed the characters. I continue to think that E.L. James is brilliant. She created a hell of a story, with deep moral and incredibly complex characters. I just don't think that all of these were shown in the film. Yet, it was a good movie. 


Vany Sampayo

Comentários

Mensagens populares